Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Home Cookin'

I am so thankful to have a mother-in-law that has taught me how to cook, preserve, and be frugal. Even if I do pick on her about her own frugal efforts.

My own mother has given me all of my crafty skills and desire to make my own things. These two Mom's combined have created a homemade machine. Well at least I would like to be. I think most gifts should be made by the giver and most meals should be homemade as well.

Gardening is a huge love of mine. It is fun for me and the kids and best of all it is yummy! My favorite part of having a garden is being able to eat a meal made of all homegrown foods.

Tonight was one of those nights. We had canned venison, creamed potatoes that I canned, and yellow beans from the farm. I didn't get a picture of what the prepared meal looked like, we all dug in to fast once I had it all cooked. But here is the before picture:



I did remember to take a picture of desert. I do not make sweets very often, but I wanted to use some of my newly found apples.

It is a apple cake with cream cheese frosting. YUM!




This cake is made with 100% wheat flour and is sweetened with honey. The frosting is also sweetened with honey. There is also no oil in this recipe. It turns out sooo moist. Nate even had two pieces!

1 comment:

  1. I want that cake recipe - that looks SO yummy!!!! --- Christina

    ReplyDelete